There is a God that answers prayers and His name is Jehovah Elshaddai. Prayers is one of the most important things in the life of Christians. It is prayers that have brought us thus far, and it is also prayers that would still take us far.
A certain woman was in trouble, her husband has died, she is just left with her sons, and the husband’s creditors are on their neck, trying to take her sons as slaves. She cried to the Prophet of God and adhered to all the instructions the Prophet gave her. She never relied on her might, expertise or profession. She totally obeyed and she was blessed.
1 A certain woman of the wives of the sons of the prophets cried out to Elisha, saying, “Your servant my husband is dead, and you know that your servant feared the LORD. And the creditor is coming to take my two sons to be his slaves.”
2 So Elisha said to her, “What shall I do for you? Tell me, what do you have in the house?” And she said, “Your maidservant has nothing in the house but a jar of oil.”
3 Then he said, “Go, borrow vessels from everywhere, from all your neighbors—empty vessels; do not gather just a few. 4 And when you have come in, you shall shut the door behind you and your sons; then pour it into all those vessels, and set aside the full ones.”
5 So she went from him and shut the door behind her and her sons, who brought the vessels to her; and she poured it out. 6 Now it came to pass, when the vessels were full, that she said to her son, “Bring me another vessel.”
And he said to her, “There is not another vessel.” So the oil ceased. 7 Then she came and told the man of God. And he said, “Go, sell the oil and pay your debt; and you and your sons live on the rest.” (2 Kings 4:1-7, New King James Version)
There are lots of lessons to be learnt from this passage of 2 Kings chapter 4 verse 1 to 7:
- Neighbourhood Involvement: Be very much involved in what is going on in your neighbourhood or else when you need any empty vessels, you wont be able to find anywhere to get or borrow them. The woman was in very good terms with her neighbours, that was why she was able to borrow lots of empty vessels when her own containers were finished. According to some scholars, this was the origin of Crude oil production. (Don’t ask me, am not a Petrochemical Engineer, neither am I a renewable Energy practitioner – lol just mussing)
- Counseling: It is important that you should always seek counsel from Trusted Spiritual Leaders.
- Obedience to Authority: As Christians, we should be obedient to men of God and people in Authority. The Man of God gave instructions, and she obeyed and the result was an untold abundance.
- Personal Expectations: Always make it a point in your life to not limit your expectations from God.
- Aim High and Dream Big: Do not limit your Dreams and aspirations.
Women/wives must be people who can and must have a constant channel of communication with God, so that when their man / husbands are gone, they would be in a better possition to take over the handling of affairs in the homes.